Sunday, September 15, 2013

Blog Post #4

     In this assignment we were assigned to research podcasts. I was given numerous sites that helped
in the discovery of what, how, when, and topics for podcasts. After watching and reading these sites about podcasting I have learned many new things.
    The first podcasting site I explored was Langwitches Blog. I have learned that podcasting takes learning to a whole new level. Podcasting made the students excited about learning. It took the lessons they were learning to a new place and allowed the students to be excited and share it with the world. On one of the sites I explored there was a podcast of students reading. You could tell that all the students involved were genuinely excited about the project at hand. I found this to be a very good method in teaching reading and fluency. The method used would have to be altered depending on teacher aides but it was a good way of utilizing the aides and teachers in this class.
     On a different site, Curriki - Podcast collection, there were many different resources to use to learn how to podcast, topics for podcasting, and podcasting lessons. I will definitely use this site in my future career to allow the students to use to learn on their own.
     The last website that I explored was Integrating ICT into the MFL classroom. On this site it gives you the benefits of podcasting. Podcasting allows students to gain a higher level of thinking because students are teaching others how to do something. It also gives teachers the chance to record their lessons and allow those students that miss class to watch the podcast they misses. It also allows parents to be involved in their childs' learning. Along with giving numerous reasons of why podcasting is great in the classroom this site gives instruction or links to other sites to learn to do your own podcast.

Why Podcast?
Podcasting brings students to a new century of learning. Today's students are technological natives. These days kids are navigating through iPhones, iPads, laptops, and iPods before they are speaking full sentences. This is what excites students. So why not teach in a method that the students enjoy and get excited about. Podcasting not only excites the student but it brings learning to a whole new level. It allows the students to gain a higher level of thinking because it allows students to teach other learners how to do something. I was once told that a student will remember 10% of what they read, 20% of what they hear, 30% of what they see, 50% of what they see and hear, 70% of what they say and write, and 90% of what they teach to others. With that being said podcasting will allow the students to teach concepts to others. Which in turn the students will learn more of the material being studied.

How do we podcast?
How to podcast? I asked myself that as well when I was assigned this project. I am extremely camera shy so I have never thought about making a podcast to post to the world but even though I had no clue on how to create one after all the sites I have explored in this assignment I have definitely been converted to a podcast fan. I am going to list a few sites for you to explore that will teach you how to podcast. These sites are not difficult to follow and are for beginners in the podcasting world.

How to podcast

Using Garageband

How to Podcast

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I'm also a student in EDM and you are my C4C this week. I also wrote about the excitement that podcasting gives the students. You pointed out many reasons why podcasting should be used in the classroom. You made a great point that podcasting can benefit reading fluency. I saw no spelling errors. One suggestion I have is to reword the third sentence in your last section. Otherwise, this was a great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made some great points on how you plan to incorporate podcasting into your classroom. Good job on your blog post this week.

    ReplyDelete